Welcome to IMA Chandigarh
Indian Medical Association is the only representative, national voluntary organization of Doctors of Modern Scientific System of Medicine, which looks after the interest of doctors as well as the well being of the community at large.
The founding fathers way back in 1928, while struggling for liberation of the Motherland from British rule simultaneously felt the need of a national organization of the medical profession. Before that, some members of the profession – a selected few – were members of the British Medical Association, which had opened branches in India to cater to the local needs.
History of IMA
The Association was started in 1928 on the occasion of the 5th all India Medical Conference at Calcutta with the avowed objectives:
a. Promotion and Advancement of Medical and allied sciences in all their different branches.
b. The improvement of public Health and Medical Education in India.
c. The maintenance of honour and dignity of medical profession.
TODAY, I.M.A is a well established organization with is Headquarters at Delhi and State/Terr. Branches in 23 States and 9 union Territories. It has over 78000 doctors as its members through over 1274 local branches spread all over the country.
The National Headquarter of the IMA is situated at New Delhi, and its Journal Office functions from Calcutta. For Housing the headquarters of the Association, a six storeyed building has been constructed at Indraprastha Marg, New Delhi and a Building of IMA housing the J.I.M.A has also been constructed at 53. Creek Row, Calcutta.
President IMA and three vice-presidents are elected by all the members of association, while the Electoral College for the other offices is the Central Council.
Similar situation prevails at the State level, under the Jurisdiction of the State Branches the local branches are established which functions autonomously within the frame work of the IMA constitution.
Over 100 local/state branches have their own buildings where provision of stay fom members is possible.
For these who fulfill the membership qualification, to become a member of IMA, the prescribed from in triplicate be filled & given to the nearest branch along with requisite membership fees.
For any more information, please contact:
The Honorary General Secretary,
Indian Medical Association,
I.M.A. House, Indraprastha Marg,
State Secretary in your State
Local Branch Secretary in your Town.
Privileges of Membership:
- Members of the Association can participate in various programmes organized by the Association and its Branches to which they belong.
- Members have the right to attend and take part in discussion in all general, clinical meetings, lectures, demonstrations, refresher coursed etc. organized for continuing medical education by the Association.
- Members have the right to attend medical conferences organized by the Association or any of its branches on such terms as laid down in the bye-laws.
- Member can move the Central Council and the Working Committee of the Association to take necessary action in matters affecting the medical profession and for the health of the people.
- Members can join study tours organized within the country or aboard for professional interaction.
- A Scientific publication monthly Journal of the Indian Medical Association is supplied free to its members. The Journal is of high academic order and enjoys international reputation and recognition.
- A monthly publication “IMA NEWS” is published from the Headquarters to give its members information about the activities of the Association and other news from the medial world and the same is available to the members at a nominal yearly subscription.
- Members are stimulated to do research in various aspects of the field of medicine through its academic wings.
- Member are eligible to compete for various awards instituted by IMA to stimulate original thinking amongst its members particularly young doctors and students.
- The members of IMA with their families are entitled to stay at IMA Guest House when in Delhi on payment of nominal subsidized charges. This privilege is also available in cities where various Branches are having accommodation in buildings of their own.
- Social Security Schemes for the welfare of members are being floated at State lever with the objective of providing assistance to family of members in the event of their death.
- Post-graduate members of IMA (Ob & Gynae) can avail of the special laparoscopic training program & become eligible for purchase of laparoscopes at heavily subsidised rates.
- Members are eligible to procure vaccines for immunization of their patients. They can also avail of contraceptive pills and IUDS etc. through the good offices of the IMA.
- IMA Benevolent Fund established to help dependants. Members are even entitled to also secure loans from Benevolent Fund to meet some unpredictable exigencies.
- IMA members through special arrangements with General Insurance Companies get special insurance covers to protect members against possible medico legal eventuality during discharge of the their normal professional work.
- IMA members through special arrangements with car manufacturers are entiled to get special rebate from time to time while purchasing new vehicle.
- IMA members are entitled for National Social Security Scheme for the benefit of their families in case of death of the member.